Paralegal Licencee/Member
Law Society of Upper Canada

Member of the
Paralegal Society of Ontario

Professional Corporation

Small Claims Court Representation

 Small Claims Court Representation, Brampton, Mississauga, Caledon, Milton, Orangeville, Barrie, Guelph, Richmond Hill, Toronto, and other surrounding area

When you are seeking to obtain either money or the return of property from a person or a company using the court process to do so, you are called a ‘Plaintiff’.  The person you are suing is the ‘Defendant’.
If you are seeking to recover money or property in Ontario for $35,000.00 or less, you would do so in small claims court.

The small claims court was created so that parties could represent themselves if they wanted to.  However, because court clerks are not allowed to assist you in preparing your documents or provide you with any legal assistance or advice, this may place you at a decided disadvantage. Although less complicated than the proceedings in a higher court, small claims court is still a court of law, rules and procedures that can be difficult to know and navigate through if you are not familiar with the law, the rules and the procedures.  

A. Perlman Paralegal Services Professional Corporation has over 30 years of experience with the law, the court’s process and is fully knowledgeable with its rules and all of the steps necessary to represent you in a knowledgeable and skillful manner.  We will ensure that your matter is handled promptly, efficiently and with a level of expertise that you will expect and require. We have helped countless clients within our geographic areas of practice.

The information below is a general guideline and is not legal advice.  There are numerous exceptions contained in the court rules and the small claims court is flexible.  In fact, one of the small claims court rules gives judges the authority to suspend any rule at any time given the particular circumstances of the case.

If you are a Plaintiff, you will issue and serve a Plaintiff’s Claim on the Defendant(s).

If you are a Defendant, you will receive a Plaintiff’s Claim from the Plaintiff. 

As a Defendant, you have a finite number of days to respond to the Plaintiff’s Claim that was served on you.  The usual way of responding to a Plaintiff’s Claim is to file a ‘Defence’.  If you do nothing, the Plaintiff may be able to obtain judgment against you without your knowledge.

Call us today at (416) 399-4826 for a consultation about your case.  Remember, whether you’re a Plaintiff involved in the collection of money, or a Defendant trying to prevent the collection of money, delay and hope are not good strategies to use in managing your matter.

Small Claims Court Paralegal

Brampton, Orangeville, Caledon, Mississauga, Milton, Barrie, Guelph, Richmond Hill, Toronto, and other surrounding areas.

Request a Consultation

To request a consultation with A. Perlman Paralegal Services call now (519) 943-0590, (416) 399-4826 or complete the following form.

* Required

Preferred Contact Method